The history of the Hotel Vereina
The Hotel Vereina, at that time still called Grand Hotel Vereina, is one of the first hotels in the whole of Klosters. The Grand Hotel Vereina with 220 beds was created from the two hotels Brosi and Vereina in the 1880s. At that time, it was the most visited establishment in the spa town of Klosters with state-of-the-art facilities. Around 1900 it already had a lift, a vestibule, tennis and croquet courts, a walking track and central heating, which had already been installed in 1884. At the beginning of the 20th century, Klosters was known primarily as a climatic health resort and was advertised as a place to stay for a cure for all forms of illness that required a stimulating, dry, protected Alpine climate to improve, but were not allowed to expose themselves to abrupt changes in temperature. Spa patients travelling to the Engadine were supposed to acclimatise here during a preliminary cure before continuing their journey to the high-altitude spas. The Grand Hotel Vereina also accommodated many spa guests at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century. In the winter of 1904/1905, the Grand Hotel Vereina was the first hotel in Klosters to open for a winter season. In the following years, the winter sports facilities in Klosters were significantly expanded with the construction of a bobsleigh run, the Selfranga ski hill and an ice rink. In 1999, the Hotel Vereina was demolished and replaced by a new building as we know it today.